Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Football and Women

Does football and women make a good combo together? Hmm.. It's very hard to say BUT it depends on situation I think. Personally if a girl is interested about football, it's a turn on. I'd be glad if my GF is interested in football or even join me to watch a game or watch me play futsal. Hehe..

 Here's the thing, last Saturday I watched Liverpool's match (yeah I can't believe it either) against Wolves. I was surprised to see the Assistant Referee lined up for the clash was a woman. Sian Massey lined up with the big boys and I knew she'd be put under the microscope for all her decision making that day. Fans from all over the world will definitely critisize her if one mistake was made. At the end of the game, I thought she did a tremendous job officiating the line. She made good calls and she had a very good game indeed, especially where she was spot on when Liverpool scored the first goal. Raul Mereiles was DEFINITELY on-side when Poulsen made the through ball to him. I'd give her full marks on that.

*Sian Massey in action during the match*

Everything went fine til yesterday. It was all over in the UK that 2 very senior TV pundits for Sky Sports, Andy Gray and Richard Keys made sexism comments on the Assistant Referee. This is how it happened:

A pitchside reporter tells Gray, "Apparently, a female lino today, bit of a looker, according to Steve the cameraman". Pulling a disgusted face Gray says, "A female linesman?" The reporter replies, "He says she's alright. Now I don't know if I should trust his judgment on that". Gray replied, "Nah, I wouldn't. Definitely wouldn't".

Later, not realizing they were being recorded, Gray and Keys gaffed again claiming that she "doesn't know the offside rule" with Keys adding "I can guarantee you there'll be a big one today. Kenny Dalglish will go potty". 

Both are senior pundits and have tons of experience in the football world. They should know that it's wrong to critisize they way they did. The English FA started the Respect campaign and it's their own breed that's damaging the campaign. Bravo to them. Since then, the two have been given a disciplinary action by the Sky Sports MD. They were both taken off from Chelsea vs Bolton match. Since then, it has been reported that Keys personally rang up Sian Massey and apologize for his rant. Come on Gray. It's your turn!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment