Friday, December 14, 2012

Celebrating 20 Years of Eric


Cantona calls it a day
Just short of his 31st birthday, Eric Cantona announced his retirement in 1997 with a year still left to run on his contract.

For all the talk that he would end up at Real Zaragoza, the Frenchman was true to his word in ending his career at United. It came as a shock to all the Reds fans, fearful of whether success would be maintained without the talismanic No7, but few begrudged him his decision.

A European semi-final defeat to Borussia Dortmund had hit Cantona hard and, despite skippering the side to another title, many pundits felt his shining light was dimming. The Guardian's David Lacey summed it up perfectly: "His contribution to the team's fourth championship in five years has been valuable but not invaluable. He finished the season looking broody."

Cantona once informed L'Equipe: "I'm naturally a curious person. Every day, I need to find something new, even simple things. It's this permanent state of curiosity that enables me to progress.'' So there was always the danger he would quit one day and look for progression elsewhere, even if Alex Ferguson still found it hard to conceal his disappointment after managing to convince the Old Trafford idol not to hang up his boots during his period of suspension in 1995.

"It's a sad day for United," the manager said. "I know Eric was particularly disappointed after the Dortmund game. We were all disappointed. He wasn't the only one in that boat but you wondered how he was ever going to get over it. We were all gutted. We all felt we should have been in the final. "That was the general mood around the club and not just with Eric. When he came to see me on Wednesday I got the impression that his position was unequivocal. I knew deep down that, no matter the things I was saying to him, he wasn't prepared to take them on board. I knew whatever I said I couldn't make him change his mind. "Whereas the previous time when he needed help, I managed to turn him around. Eric basically believes that he must go out at the top. Now he's gone, I don't feel let down. There can't be any recriminations in my heart.

"We've had some great players at this club and when the end has come we have just had to get on with life. The fans are going to have great memories of him, and so will I. "Eric's influence has been absolutely marvellous. He came at the right time to give us his vision. I think we might have won that first title anyway, but he gave us the composure and the crucial goals to pull it off.

"The years of Eric Cantona have been great for all of us," admitted the boss. "He has had a huge impact on the development of our younger players. Eric has been a model professional and he has been a joy to manage. He's certainly one of the most gifted and dedicated players that I've ever had the pleasure of working with. "Whenever fans discuss United's greatest-ever side, you can be sure that for many, Eric's name will be very high on the list. He leaves with our best wishes and he will always be welcome at Old Trafford. He has left us with so many wonderful memories."

For his part, Cantona issued only a brief statement to the media before eventually opting to pursue an acting career and enjoying more success in that field. "I have played professional football for 13 years, which is a long time," he said. "I now wish to do other things. I always planned to retire when I was at the top and at Manchester United I have reached the pinnacle of my career. "In the last four and a half years, I have enjoyed my best football and had a wonderful time. I have had a marvellous relationship with the manager, coach, staff and players, and not least the fans. I wish United even more success in the future."

With that, he was gone. But never forgotten by the supporters who still regularly chant his name.


No comments:

Post a Comment