Friday, December 14, 2012

Celebrating 20 Years of Eric


Eric: United perfect for me
During his recent visit to Manchester for Sir Alex Ferguson’s statue unveiling, Eric sat down with Inside United to reflect on his “perfect” relationship with the Reds some 20 years on from his arrival at Old Trafford…

“It feels like only yesterday” 
Ah, I know it’s been 20 years. In 20 years’ time I will be 66 – the years have gone so fast so I am a bit worried! [Laughs] I hope the next 20 years will be as strong as the last ones I have lived including my time here and the different things I have done. I have had some great times. I spent some great years here. I was never bored so time went quickly, so, yes, it feels like it was only yesterday.

“This club was even more than I could have imagined”
Sometimes you live in your own ideas [and imagine how a place will be] and it’s not really the truth, but this club was even more than I could have imagined. When you walk into the dressing room, all the energy of the past is so strong. You cannot imagine that before [you join], it's just something you feel when you are here. That energy helped me to give everything I could here for five years.

“Alex Ferguson helped me play in the best position for me”
It was perfect [at United]. [With] all kinds of strong relationships, in football, in life, in love, it’s all about your disposition. I think happiness is all about disposition. And after that we have to work together and Alex Ferguson helped me a lot. He helped me to play in the best position for me.

“I am so lucky to be loved by the people I love so much”
It’s always a great feeling when I come back and I still have all my memories [of my career at United]. To hear the fans singing some beautiful old songs from the years when I was a player…I take it as a privilege. I am so lucky to be loved by the people I love so much.

“United are as strong as the years before”
Last season United lost the league in the last minute. Sometimes that happens, but they are still a top team and a top team in Europe. They are as strong as years before and it’s great to see Ferguson create a new generation of players.

"Manchester is inspirational"
It’s always the same feeling when I come back – it’s a great feeling. I remember many things about Manchester – it’s a special place where I met a lot of people. I love this place. It’s a very open-minded city in every kind of culture. It’s inspirational. The buildings, the colour of the buildings, the story of the city, the countryside… it is all beautiful. And the people I met outside of football were great, they helped me a lot. I love to come back, even on my own, to spend time here.



No comments:

Post a Comment