Monday, May 30, 2011

Champions League Aftermath

Oh wow. I can't believe I''m gonna say this, but I expected Man Utd to lose last Saturday.
I expected to be dominated BUT I expected Man Utd to cut the deficit to just a single goal.
Unfortunately Man Utd lost 3-1. Yet another 2 goal margin. When Leo Messi scored the 2nd goal, it was just like thrusting a dagger through my heart.
Suicide defending from my point of view. I can't put the blame on the keeper as we should've close the Messi-ah down quickly. We were inviting danger.
The 3rd goal was simply exquisite. That, is World Class by David Villa. Simply astonishing.

Every supporter is questioning the tactics being deployed by Sir Alex. I gotta say, I respect his decision to stick to his 4-4-2 formation and didn't go with the man marking of Leo Messi. It's not just Man Utd's way to man mark. If he had flooded the midfield area,
it will still be the same result. Our 2 midfield players were definitely chasing shadows.
And I concur to the pundits last Saturday, it was as if Barca were playing with 13 men on the field. 

The BIG question now is, what will Sir Alex do to use this defeat as a stepping stone? 
Rumours are flying around Old Trafford that there will be a major overhaul of players this summer. Sir Alex have mentioned that he will sign 3 World Class players in the summer. 
David De Gea, Martin Stekelenburg, Wesley Sneijder, Ashley Young, Alexis Sanchez and Luka Modric have been thrown into the hat for the overhaul. 
It seems Scholes is expected to retire, I seriously hope Bebe, Birame Diouf, Owen and probably Gibson be shipped out (either loan or sell off). Welbeck and Kiko Macheda be called back to be included as top 4 strikers. I actually wouldn't mind if Fergie decided to cash in on Dimi Berbatov. I admit he has been brilliant at times for Man Utd this season but towards the end, he's been lacking. 

Personally, I hope Man Utd will buy 3 World Class players so that we can have that WOW factor again after losing Cristiano Ronaldo. And personally I wouldn't mind if he decides to return to Old Trafford once again. He'll definitely be welcome back with open arms.
It has been a tough campaign this time around. But still, Congratulations to Man Utd and Sir Alex for guiding the team to an impressive 19th Premier League title and the Champions League Final.

No comments:

Post a Comment